Wednesday, June 25, 2014

average

I did not post about the project where I photoshopped, so I will comment on it now. I have been thinking about beauty and image manipulation and our insistence on improving the records of ourselves. These thoughts all led me to (like a lot of people) question why do we desire to look like someone other than ourself. Is it our ideal self, the one we wish we are, why is it we are not happy to be what we are? Our perceptions of our self are often a result of what we are exposed to and told is the norm, even when these are often extreme examples. I decided to try and explore it by taking images of women that have been used to establish extreme perceptions of what is beautiful, and attempted to make them closer to what the reality is for a lot of their target audience. Its interesting that looking healthy is often not always what is attractive to people.

No comments: